The world’s first service club, the Rotary Club of Chicago, was formed on 23 February 1905 by Paul P. Harris, an attorney who wished to capture in a professional club the same friendly spirit he had felt in the small towns of his youth. The Rotary name derived from the early practice of rotating meetings among members’ offices.
Rotary’s popularity spread, and within a decade, clubs were chartered from San Francisco to New York to Winnipeg, Canada. By 1921, Rotary clubs had been formed on six continents. The organization adopted the Rotary International name a year later.
The Rotary Club of The Palisades was chartered in 2009 and serves the communities of Edgewater, Leonia and Palisades Park. The Club’s premier community service project is the Weekend Snack Pack Program, but the club is also involved in other projects, including providing clean drinking water to rural communities in the Dominican Republic, collecting winter outerwear and conducting food drives for the needy in Bergen County, providing school supplies to children who can otherwise not afford them, and much more.
To find out more about Rotary, please attend the Leonia Oktoberfest, or learn more about club projects at https://Palisades-Rotary.org.